Experience Kissimmee Highlights Outdoor Attractions as a Key Way to Promote Children’s Health this Earth Day
KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The state of Florida is well-known for having year-round sunshine, and even is nicknamed the “Sunshine State,” allowing residents and travelers from around the globe to get their daily dose of sunshine. The feeling of the sun’s rays seems to always be a mood booster for people of all ages, but did you also know that health studies show that maximizing daytime sunlight is highly beneficial for kids’ health? Research studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Academy of Pediatrics and Mayo Clinic show that benefits include increased physical growth, mental health and social development.
In celebrating the outdoors this Earth Day, April 22, Experience Kissimmee would like to share to kids and children of all-ages the many outdoor activities in the Kissimmee area where you can soak up all the sun you need.
Outdoor Activities here in Kissimmee:
- Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park
- Airboat Tours
- Balloon Rides
- Mini Golf
- Bok Tower Gardens
- Walking trail in our many nature parks or your own backyard
Keep it simple! It doesn’t have to be an epic adventure. Short outdoor activities can still have major benefits: 30 to 60 minutes of outdoor play time per day but even 10-minute stints can be a good idea.
- Increase vitamin D which can help with bone development, disease prevention, and a healthy nervous system.
- Increase levels of serotonin, a chemical that aids brain function and improves mood and happiness.
- Natural blue light has been shown to protect against nearsightedness for kids, ease the symptoms of mental health conditions like ADHD, and lower blood pressure.
- But don’t forget! Too much sun light can be harmful so grab those shades, hats, and sunscreen.
About Experience Kissimmee:
Experience Kissimmee is the official tourism authority for Osceola County, Florida. Located 25 minutes from Orlando International Airport (MCO), Kissimmee offers a perfectly balanced vacation experience with world-famous theme parks and attractions, outdoor activities, and plenty of Florida sunshine. Kissimmee is the Vacation Home Capital of the World®, with options ranging from two-bedroom condos to 15-bedroom mansions. Get inspired at experiencekissimmee.com.
Experience Kissimmee Communications Department [email protected]