Fall is here and even though Central Florida’s evergreen palm trees don’t change color, we still have plenty of autumn activities to share. Whether you’re here in Kissimmee for Thanksgiving and can experience these restaurants and places first-hand or are enjoying these from afar at your own home, we’re glad we can share some of our fall traditions.
Games from Kissimmee
Kissimmee in the Fall Word Search
There are many things to be thankful for and being together as a family is one of them. Whether you’re far away from Central Florida or enjoying the sunshine in Central Kissimmee, we have some fun games to play. Challenge everyone to see who can finish this word search first. All the words are related to fall and the season of giving.
Help Lenny Through the Maze
Although this is no live corn maze, this activity sheet works the same way. Can you help Lenny pick out the perfect pumpkin in the middle of the maze? Hopefully so!
Can You Spot the Difference?
Lenny and Bruce are just so cute in their masks! Even though these images may look the same, there are actually a few differences in them. Can you spot them? Have a gourd time.
We are falling in love with these recipes from around Central Florida. Whether you’re looking for a breakfast delight or delicious dinner, we have a few recipes from the area’s very own restaurants. If you’re here in Kissimmee, you can either visit the restaurant for a full experience or try these recipes on your own at your Kissimmee vacation home. Like we say, go big or gourd home and these homes are fully equipped with all the pots and pans you’ll need so let’s get cookin’! Be sure to tag us with #MyKissimmee so we can see your creations.
Disney Parks Pumpkin Pancakes
These tasty breakfast treats from Walt Disney World Resort are sure to brighten up your family's morning.
Ingredients (Makes 10, 4-inch pancakes)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp.) melted butter
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon (tsp.) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- Combine milk, egg, melted butter, pumpkin, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves in a medium bowl. Fold wet ingredients into flour mixture.
- Heat lightly oiled large skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Add ¼ cup scoops of pancake batter onto griddle. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Taverna Opa Pastitsio
This "Greek lasagna" from Taverna Opa is a great meal for pasta night.
- ¼ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 2 ½ lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups plum tomato concasse
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- 17 ounces Misko Greek Macaroni No. 2 pasta
- 4 ounces Kefalotyri cheese, grated
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Salt and pepper
Béchamel Sauce Recipe
- ¾ lbs. butter
- ¾ gallon of warm milk (or 12 cups)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Kefalotyri cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth and cook until it starts to brown slightly. This makes the roux.
- Warm milk and slowly add it to the roux while constantly stirring to avoid lumps.
- Cook stirring until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble.
- Add salt and pepper and grated cheese. Then, add eggs and whisk mixture until creamy.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté the chopped onion for 5-7 minutes, until translucent
- Add ground beef and continue stirring until it begins to brown.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, spices, salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and meat is cooked.
- Remove pan from heat, let meat cool slightly, and remove whole spices.
- Preheat oven to 350
- While meat simmers, boil the pasta to al dente.
- Remove, drain, and shock in cold water.
- Drain cold water and toss with olive oil and half of the grated cheese.
- Add pasta to a lightly oiled baking pan.
- Pour meat sauce, spreading evenly over pasta and mix together.
- Pour Béchamel sauce over pasta and meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until Béchamel thickens and a golden-brown crust forms on top.
Cafe Tu Tu Tango Spanish Churros
For a delicious dessert, try these Cafe Tu Tu Tango Spanish churros.
Ingredients (Makes 15 churros)
For the Churro Batter:
- 1 cup water
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- .5 oz granulated sugar
- .5 tbsp. kosher salt
- 5 oz by weight all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
For the Spicy Chocolate Sauce:
- 7.5 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz heavy cream
- .5 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- .5 tbsp. cayenne pepper
- .25 tbsp. kosher salt
- In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and vigorously whisk in chocolate chips until well blended.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, and butter. Fold in with wooden spoon.
- Preheat 2 inches of vegetables or canola oil in a heavy bottom sauce pot or dutch oven.
- Combine water, butter, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- On slowest speed, mix while gradually adding flour (mixture should end up thick like cookie dough).
- Set mixer to medium speed and add egg, continue to mix until mixture is smooth and silky.
American Social Apple Pumpkin Mule
American Social is helping you whip up a harvest cocktail for the adults!
- 1 ½ oz. Captain Morgan Sliced Apple
- 1 oz. Rèal pumpkin puree
- ¾ oz. lemon juice
- 4 oz. Q ginger beer
- Add the rum, pumpkin puree, and lemon juice to a tin.
- Shake and strain over ice.
- Pour into your mule mug and top with Q ginger beer.
- Garnish with mint sprig or apple chip.
Chill Fall Vibes
While gathered together, you can play some fall-inspired background music that’s sure to be perfect for conversation and doing these activity sheets. It’ll get you in the giving spirit and the need to cozy up on the couch after a day of cooking and eating.
Cozy Things To Do
You may not see many leaves on the ground but that doesn’t mean we skip the fall season! The great thing about Kissimmee is the year-round warm weather. From enjoying a day at the world-famous theme parks and entertainment districts to experiencing an outdoor adventure for the first time, there’s plenty to with the whole family to enjoy the beautiful Florida sunshine. After all, the weather is un-be-leafable all year round. Check out local deals here to save some of that money for upcoming Christmas presents!
Whether you’re enjoying the fall with us in Kissimmee or with your family at home, these Kissimmee-inspired recipes, things to do, and activities are perfect to gather your family together. Share your recipe photos and experiences with us on Facebook and Instagram – we’d love to see how everything turns out! To keep up to date with the most recent area news, subscribe to our newsletter.